Exclusive Producers – Part 2

Tell it to your friends

Reading Time: 3 – 5 minutes

Follows the previous article Exclusive Producers – Part 1

Tenuta Anna Maria Giacomelli

In ancient times, the property was part of the large estates that the Vivarelli Colonna princes had in Tuscany. On the property was erected a patrician residence of severe external beauty, but with a great wealth of internal finishes, especially frescoes. This house, unfortunately, was destroyed during the last war. At the end of the eighteenth century the company was purchased by the ancestors of the current property and became part of the larger estates that the Giacomelli family had in the neighboring area. The company is located in Tuscany, undoubtedly one of the most beautiful regions of Italy, known throughout the world for its artistic heritage, the history that oozes from everything you breathe, the enchanting landscapes, the cities of ancient traditions on which the passage of the various civilizations that have left a remarkable artistic and cultural heritage is visible. The company is close to the hills of Pistoia, an ancient Romanesque city full of important monuments. The property extends over 20 hectares and has about 4 hectares of specialized vineyards in the Chianti DOCG area, one of the most renowned areas nationwide for the production of high quality red wines. Furthermore, an IGT (Typical Geographical Indication) white wine is produced, made in small quantities in order to obtain the best results with the care and attention that it requires.


Cantina Valetti

We are a winery born in 1975 but our roots are in the American Dream. Grandfather Angelo obtained a loan from his brother who emigrated to America in the early 1900s to buy the small farm at the foot of the village of Calmasino, which overlooks Lake Garda. There he founded his house and planted the small vineyard to support the family. His son Luigi, our father, founded the current cellar and today the baton has passed to Stefano, Luca and Davide. A long time has passed, but we are still today a family-run winery, which tries to get the best out of the Bardolino grapes, combining tradition and technology.


Monte Cicogna since 1908

The Materossi family, owner and founder of the Monte Cicogna farm in Moniga del Garda on the Brescia side of Lake Garda, began the wine business with its founder Pietro Materossi back in 1908. Today, after more than a century of history, the Materossi brothers , in its fourth generation: Maria Grazia, Alessandro, Luigi, Chiara and Cesare continue the legacy left by Father Piero with the same philosophy and commitment as in the past. Alessandro follows the heart of the company in the vineyards and in the winemaking cellar while Cesare takes care of the administrative and commercial part in the name of company continuity. The teachings, passion and secrets passed from father to son are kept and lead the company into the 21st century with the same excellence of the past.


Tacoli Asquini since 1836

The Tacoli Asquini farm, located in the “Grave del Friuli” area, is a property of 23 hectares of land used for the cultivation of vines that give life to “Friuli” DOC wines. The property develops around the ancient family villa, characterized by a tower dating back to the 16th century. An integral part of the corporate body is the cellar, inaugurated in 1836.

THE GRAVE

When we talk about the Grave del Friuli we refer to the area between the provinces of Udine and that of Pordenone. The cultivation of vines in this area dates back to the Bronze Age and experienced a particular development in Roman times. The mountains that shelter from the cold currents of the north and the proximity to the Adriatic Sea make the climate very mild, therefore suitable for the cultivation of vines. The particular feature of the area is the presence of calcareous material deposited over the millennia by the rivers Meduna, Cellina and Tagliamento. In fact, the stones, by retaining the heat of the sun, keep the temperature constant both day and night, thus helping to give life to fragrant white wines and red wines with an unmistakable taste. The Tacoli were warriors, magistrates and administrators. Among them are Francesco Tacoli, who in 1176 fought with the Lombard League against Barbarossa; Gherardo, bishop of Belluno who, to defend the lands of his diocese from Treviso, fell in combat in 1197. Alessandra Tacoli, who lived in the 15th century, whose daughter Daria would become the mother of the famous writer Ludovico Ariosto.

The Tacoli family approached the cultivation of the land in 1723, when the Este family granted San Posidonio as a fief with the rank of marquisate to the noble Pietro Tacoli, already founder, in the previous century, of a well-known textile industry in Reggio. It is Paolo, born of Federico and Margherita Asquini, who today runs the family business with the help of his children Paola and Federico.

The inventor of Picolit

The activity of the Counts Asquini in Cuccana began in the early 1800s, but already in 1758 Count Fabio became known throughout Europe for having given life, on his Fagagna estate, to the famous Picolit, the result of careful agronomic studies resulting in the ‘passionate cultivation of the precious vine. The first 14 bottles destined to contain the precious wine were born in Murano from the skilled hands of the glass masters. Picolit was soon appreciated by Pope Clement XIII and by the main royal houses of the old continent. The precious wine was widely appreciated and the following year the family exported more than 1,100 bottles.


Sylla Sebaste

The company is located in the hamlet of Vergne, in the municipality of Barolo, from which it embraces a splendid panorama of vineyards and dominates the entire Langa. A small family-run company comes to life here with a production of about 70,000 bottles of classic Piedmontese wine.

WINES & VINEYARDS

The cellar is surrounded by proprietary Nebbiolo vineyards belonging to the Crus of San Pietro, Bricco delle Viole and Bussia, the latter located at the foot of Barolo. From this activity come the Barolo DOCG and its Crus, the Barbera d’Alba, the Dolcetto d’Alba, the Nebbiolo d’Alba and the Syllabo (Langhe Rosso). From grapes purchased from trusted winegrowers, we instead produce Roero Arneis, Gavi from the Municipality of Gavi, Moscato and Barbera d’Asti. The final product is the result of long and hard work in the vineyards and in the cellar.

HISTORY

The cellar was born in 1985, by the will of Mrs. Tersilla Sebaste. The Merlo family took over the property at the beginning of the 2000s and, starting from the vineyards, dedicated themselves to an articulated renewal process, which culminated in 2004 with the expansion of the cellar. The new aging and processing areas were built entirely underground, thus reducing the environmental impact, with total respect for the surrounding landscape. The expansion in the heart of the hill has allowed us to optimize the climatic conditions, minimizing the temperature range in the different seasons, and to expand the bottling-packaging area together with the storage area for the bottles being aged.

PHILOSOPHY

As the popularity of Langhe wines has increased, so have discussions and controversies about how these wines should be produced. The current of thought on the type of product to be made hinges on 3 fundamental cornerstones: the pleasantness of the glass, respect for the territory and finally the truth (the consumer’s right to “know”).

THE TERRITORY

This special land, which produces exceptional fruits, is the cradle of great wines and the mother of an extraordinary panorama. The  cellar is located right on the top of the San Pietro delle Viole hill, and from here you can admire a beautiful view: in the distance Serralunga, Grinzane, and nearby, just below, Barolo. Castles and vineyards, almost at three hundred and sixty degrees. Opposite is the mysterious Castello della Volta, built by Manfredo di Saluzzo in the 12th century. Next to the Sylla Sebaste stands the small 14th-century chapel of San Pietro delle Viole on the hillock. Its silhouette, elegant and slender, has become the symbol of the company and of the wines.


Dario D’Angelo

The D’ANGELO family has been producing wine and oil since the early 1900s between the hills of Giulianova and Mosciano Sant’Angelo, in the province of Teramo, in the ABRUZZO region. In the 1970s the young Dario D’ANGELO began an important transformation corporate with massive investments; soon the company becomes one of the most important family-run companies in ABRUZZO. The heart of the company is the modern and reliable plant, technologically advanced, among the most modern in the region, nevertheless obedient to the tradition that attentive to the protection of the environment and to the quality of its product; all supported by a high level of professionalism and continuous staff training.


Mr.Vino CH Social Media


Tell it to your friends

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Shopping Cart